Marchmont Association wrote to members, supporters & friends, including Living Streets;
You will be aware of our campaign to get Camden Council to take urgent action to improve pedestrian safety at the Marchmont Street/Tavistock Place road junction.
We have so far:
1. Led a deputation to the Culture & Environment Scrutiny Panel, where Councillors were sympathetic to our cause but accepted the lead Officer's claim that there could be no action due to the lack of funds.
2. Held a public meeting, which was attended by around 50 people (not the 30 reported in CNJ), but not attended by the invited Officials from Camden.
3. Staged a demonstration at the junction directly after the public meeting, bringing traffic to a halt, with a photo eventually appearing in CNJ.
4. Organised a petition.
5. Held a site meeting with the Chair of the GLA Transport Committee, Cllr Caroline Pidgeon, who said she would speak to the Mayor (Boris) and raise the matter with TfL.
6. Held a meeting with the Council's Executive Member for Culture & Environment, Cllr Chris Knight, who was sympathetic to our cause and promised to look into ways of bringing the necessary traffic feasibility studies forward in the Council's work plan.
7. Requested a deputation to the Full Council on 15th June, where our petition will be presented to the Mayor of Camden.
It is important that we have a good show of support for our campaign at the Full Camden Council meeting. - MA Members, Supporters & Friends (including Living Streets supporters) should arrive at the Town Hall on Monday 15th June at around 6.50 pm, where you will be guided to the public galleries overlooking the Council Chamber.
The Full Council meeting begins at 7pm and we expect to make our presentation shortly after.
There will then be questions from Council Members, followed by a statement from the Executive Member for Culture & Environment, following which we will leave the building.
If the above campaign has had any effect the Executive Member should announce an urgent programme of measures to address this serious issue, which has caused one loss of life and 4 serious injuries to pedestrians in the last 5 months. I hope you can join us on 15th June.
Please pass this information on to other concerned individuals who might want to show support for our deputation to the Full Council meeting.